Freight Open Mic
2020 Addison Street
Berkeley, CA, 94704
Doors 7:00 PM / Show 7:30 PM
Freight & Salvage Music Festival: Playing with Tradition
Join us for the culmination of the Freight & Salvage's 50th anniversary year with FREE Music Festival – a party on the street in front of the venue with multiple stages, dancing, food trucks, and family-friendly activities – on Saturday, September 22, 2018.
Traditional music is about connection—with our history, with our understanding of the world and the divine, and with one another. On the occasion of its 50th Anniversary, the Freight & Salvage Music Festival celebrates and fosters these connections that keep traditional music thriving. Since it’s founding in 1968, the Freight & Salvage has grown from a small coffeehouse into a world-famous venue for traditional music of many origins and genres.
Performances on three stages will include:
- • First-time performance by a Bay Area Funk super-group featuring Zigaboo Modeliste (legendary drummer from The Meters) and Linda Tillery (soul, R&B, and folk vocalist and percussionist), with Will Bernard on guitar, and Wil Blades leading the group as Music Director and performing on his Hammond organ.
- • BKO Quintet (from Bamako Mali, mixing irresistible contemporary beats and grooves with traditional Malian instruments)
- • Beausoleil (Cajun, Zydeco, folk)
- • Bang Data (Latin cumbia, hip-hop, and rock) with Non-Stop Bhangra dance troupe
- • And the Alphabet Rockers (hip-hop and social justice for families)
- • Inside, on the Freight’s main stage, Suzy Thompson (leading Bay Area traditional musician) will be curating a line-up of outstanding singer-songwriters.
This project is supported in part by an award from the National Endowment for the Arts. To find out more about how National Endowment for the Arts grants impact individuals and communities, visit www.arts.gov.
Freight & Salvage
Tue, December 18
Wed, December 19
Thu, December 20
Fri, December 21
Sat, December 22