AyeM Ray-DIO (Abstract Rude & Myka 9), The Chicharones (Sleep & Josh Martinez)
My-G, Mista Chief, Dalton, Spends Quality, Kinetic Emcees, DJ Zole
4811 Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard
Portland, OR, 97215
Doors 8:30 PM / Show 9:00 PM
This event is 21 and over
AyeM Ray-DIO (Abstract Rude & Myka 9)
Abstract Rude + Myka 9
The Chicharones (Sleep & Josh Martinez)
The Chicharones, originally formed at South by Southwest, are composed of songwriters Sleep and Josh Martinez. Since releasing their 2006 opus When Pigs Fly (Camobear Records/Bella Union), they have toured the world, collaborated with the who's who of underground pop, released critically and commercially successful solo albums and become international celebrities. Much has happened in the four years since their last release "When Pigs Fly".
"Chicharones - The Best Bar Band in America"
The Chicharones have toured the world together, solo and with live bands, and learned countless new tricks along the road. From Sleep's magic tricks and quick change routines, to Martinez's beer balancing and hi-kicking Elvis dance moves, they are buzzing everywhere with their insanely energetic live shows. Since adding live drums and bass to their live show, they can literally play with any other act and hold their own. Spin called the Chicharones "The best bar band in America" after seeing a 2.5 hour set at the Viper Room in Los Angeles. It’s easy to see why. Expect 5-part harmonies, a razor tight band, costume changes, syncopated dance moves, stage magic, standup comedy and the joyful interplay of 10 year veteran performers Sleep and Josh Martinez. And there's also rap.
'Josh Martinez, aka The People's Champ'
Josh Martinez is one of the most diverse artists in the music game, surpassing the limitations of indie hip hop, inspiring countless copycats who admire his soulful singing and offbeat cultural references. He has written 7 solo albums and collobarated with everyone. In 2008, Martinez produced a musical masterpiece called The World Famous Sex Buffet (Camobear Records), starring Devin The Dude, Classified, Mother Mother, Moka Only and Pigeon John. With 10 videos, countless licensed songs, constant touring and a #1 record in Canada for three months straight, the People’s Champ is thriving.
'Sleep, aka the Littlest Homie '
Sleep has carved himself a special place in the minds of Hip-Hoppers who want their music with heart. Sleep's album Christopher (Up Above Records 2007) garnered universal praise and was voted “The best hip hop album of 2007” (LA WEEKLY). His new album, Hesitation Wounds, is a masterful opus, written with his characteristically brilliant cadences, sweetheart rhymes and every man observations over blazing future music soundscapes. Featuring Del The Funkee Homosapien, Masta Ace, Abstract Rude and others, and released by Sage Francis’ Strange Famous Records in spring 2009, it has already sold 5,000 copies and brought him the worldwide exposure and respect he so deserves.
'The Chicharones are Back!'
Back in the studio, the Chicharones created the 2009 return-to-form ‘Swine Country’ (Camobear), and was a definitive statement of explosive growth for a duo at the absolute peak of their creative powers. These are songs inspired by James Dean, heist movies, broken hearts and sweet, sweet revenge. Swine Country is host to doo-wop harmonies, adult-rated Dr. Seuss rhymes and the incredible interplay between two of rap's finest, most accomplished artists. Swine Country is Pharcyde meets Dick Dale, Kurt Kobain meets Frankie Lymon. It's fedora wearing hip hop music with the swagger of rebellion, and all the tenderness of a mother's touch. Get down and dirty. You'll thank us for it later.
'Swine Flew…Over the Cuckoo’s Nest'
THE NEW ALBUM: Swine Flew…Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, is the culmination of years of musical experimentation uniting the content driven hardcore poetics of the Boss Hog EP, the epic joy and sorrow of When Pigs Fly, with the Doo-Wop musicality of Swine Country to create an album for all seasons. Taking their trademark humor and harmony to a new level, the Chicharones are looking to infect the whole world with their particular brand of greasy hip hop magic. While laying themselves bare, they take both their lyrical content and musicality, to new heights. This is an adult album that speaks to children who suddenly have children, and rockstars who suddenly have mortgages. This is arguably one of the best records that has ever been made. But you will know that soon enough.
Chicharones success in a glance
• Ten years of touring experience together, adding DJ and live band, plus stage magic over the last couple of years. Using comedy, theatrics, costumer changes, incredible vocal and harmony interplay and rocking the spit out of countless mouths, The Chicharones are constantly touring, playing over 200 dates every year.
• Played their 10th SXSW in a row this year, and hosted the 4th annual SXSW Chicharones Boat Party with Sollilaquists of Sound, Killah Priest, Blueprint & Illogic.
• Brought the house down at massive concerts with party rockers Bassnectar and Pretty Lights, rocking sold out shows and performing in front of crowds nearing 10,000 people.
• Have toured extensively with Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, Swollen Members, Devin The Dude, Pretty Lights, Sage Francis, Oldominion, Mr. Lif, and many more.
• Chicharones have played multiple overseas festivals in France, Scotland, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, and Canada including extensive North American touring runs as both headliners and as main support.
• When Pigs Fly (2006) was licensed to Europe and Japan and both markets were toured extensively from 2005-2008
• When Pigs Fly had multiple songs licensed for video games (NBA2K, Grand Theft Auto, Need for Speed 2)
• Chicharones have licensed multiple songs for many action sports videos, both promotional and for sale, including Fuel TV, Warren Miller’s Ski Series, Solomon Riders Guide, Red Bull Action Sports Series
• Chicharones have licensed songs to major TV shows such as The Hills, Entourage, Flavor of Love 2, Vh1’s Beach Party 2009, and movies such as Interview, Ghosts and the Samurai, Die Hard 4, and more.
• With 10,000 albums sold since Swine Country’s January 2009 release, the Chicharones are garnering critical praise including awards and accolades.
• Swine Country won an Independent Music Award 2009 for best rap album.
• Swine Country was also nominated for 2010 WCMA and a Northwest Music Award for Best Live Band.
• Breaking Point (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quLF_bQdaz8)
• Surf Rock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnvGIJn27Bo)
• Taco Wagon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXHuo-T_Snk)
• Straight Out of Noggin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IP9qACgvMM)
• Pork Rind Disco (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-omcIeSkwng)
'Rave Reviews for The Chicharones:'
“Best Bar Band in North America” -Spin
“The (Chicharones) have been putting out their kick ass brand of hip-hop and roaming the world, charming audiences with magic tricks, silly costumes and a variety of generally wacky antics, all the while making music that’s fun, upbeat and a treat to take in.”-Melophobe
“Named after the spicy crispy deep fried pork skin of the same name, the Chicharones are the rebirth of fresh, combining humor, harmony and a sense of showmanship, with a strength of songwriting that defies the indy-rap genre.”-Pitchfork
“On a whole, the Chicharones have a winning combination: good beats, a strong delivery, easy humor, fun energy, and a message that just about anyone can relate to.” –AllHipHop.com
'Josh's insightful, socially-aware lyrics and evocative voice, paired with Sleep's mastery of complex rhyme schemes and rapid fire delivery, brings a forward thinking album, ready to break through musical barriers' – Exclaim
“Musically, "When Pigs Fly" is all about Latin spirits. Rolling drums, Spanish guitar solos and sweaty Cuban nightclub piano sessions are the ingredients of one of the most spicy flavoured hip-hop records I have heard this year”-Bella Union Music
"With their first recorded effort, The Chicharones deliver a completely original masterpiece." – Urb
“Put the Chicharones in your headphones and head out into the sunshine. If you don’t feel approximately 20% better, then you must be a rather miserable person.”-Herohill.com
'Rave reviews for Josh Martinez'
"Martinez brand of music is instantly identifiable and entirely unique." (Exclaim)
"Innovative and entirely unique hybrid of clever pop melodies and intelligent, layered songwriting that borrows from everywhere and sounds like nothing else." (Spin)
“Martinez litters his tracks with more melodies per square inch than any rapper on the planet. Once he gets his hooks in you, he’ll never let go.” - URB Magazine
“Though comparisons can be made, both lyrically and conceptually, Martinez proves himself to one of hip hop’s best.” – Jockey Slut
'Rave Reviews for Sleep '
“As a founding member of the Pacific Northwest’s quintessential hip-hop crew, Oldominion, Sleep was always an unrelentingly austere MC. His solo albums are darkly introspective and personal.” - Williamette Week
"Sleep's Hesitation Wounds is an adventure. His words are fast, but he holds you by the collar and pulls you with him as you join him on his musical journey. On the excursion, you'll learn that while you and Sleep may not have the same experiences, the emotions you share are equal. Simply put, if you cannot relate to this album, you need to stop reading this and go find your soul. 4.5 out of 5 STARS." - URB
"A 'must buy' record for all hip hop lovers" - ParisDJs.com
“Sleep can tear off syllables at a cheetah’s pace like Aesop Rock or Busdriver, but even his fastest rhymes make sense.” - XLR8R
ALL LOS CHICHARONES PRESS LINKS:
(best high quality photos below on first site)
Michael Dalton, better known by his stage name, Dalton, is a hip hop artist from Portland, OR. He began writing songs at 18, collaborating with local emcees from around the Pacific Northwest. In 2015, he made his debut stage appearance opening for Sage Francis. Dalton's songs bear a message of recovery and determination, of overcoming one's demons and putting to rest the trials of tragedy and addiction.
Spencer Williams, aka Spends Quality, is not only the founder/owner/CEO of CFO Recordings, but a multi-talented musician, MC, and producer. As an integral-part of his hip-hop group Sonicbloom, Spends released 3 albums that he engineered, co-wrote and produced as a beatmaker and vocalist.
After a 7-year run with the group, Sonicbloom decided to take a hiatus to focus on solo projects for the group's 5-members. Spends not only took this time to begin writing songs for his own project and continue producing songs for other artists, but also to sign an array of new artists to his record-label, CFO Recordings.
Continuing to create his own unique brand of hip-hop music that was developed during the Sonicbloom years, Spends combines thoughtful, soulful lyrics, with strong melodies and top-quality beats featuring a blend of live instrumentation and sampling. Now, in 2011, Spends Quality is not only working with his own beats, but also with producers N8 the Gr8 and Mr. Tay to put together his debut project, "Time Peace." Expect features and collaborations with other CFO artists, including J.Kendall, Hunter Blackwell, and Adam Fission.
$10.00 - $12.00
Tickets Available at the Door
- Sorry, there are currently no upcoming events.