628 Divisadero St
San Francisco, CA, 94117
Doors 7:30 PM / Show 8:00 PM
This event is 21 and over
15 Things You Didn't Know About RAC!
Your favorite remixes of the last five years are from RAC. He’s topped the Hype Machine charts 22 times with official remixes of tracks by Lana Del Rey, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bob Marley, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes and many more. Now comes his first multi-track release of original material, the Don’t Talk To EP, four songs composed, performed and arranged by RAC with special guests providing the vocals for each track.
1. André Allen Anjos grew up in Porto, the 2nd biggest city in Portugal, and is bilingual!
2. He started playing piano when he was only 6 & was really bad at sight-reading.
3. At 12, all he wanted was a plastic electric guitar that played the chords for him — but his parents bought him a real acoustic instead, so he learned how to play.
4. André was a classic rebellious teenager, and once he found Nirvana he and his friends started playing covers (and that guitar came in handy!).
5. Around 14 he became a metalhead and formed his first guitar-and-drums band.
6. One morning at age 15, André sat down for breakfast, opened up a cereal box and inside was a promotional CD for a simple music production program called eJay. He started using it immediately!
7. André failed 12th grade in Portugal. He hated math.
8. He played in a wedding band a few times to earn some extra cash.
9. Instead of studying for classes, Andre entered remix contests so he could get vocals to write beats for.
10. His prize for a Chemical Brothers “Galvanize" remix contest was an MP3 player and a box of CDs… which got stuck in Portuguese customs, so he had to pay up- which ultimately cost more than what the prize was even worth!
11. At 20, André moved to the States and enrolled in the music program at Greenville College in Greenville, IL… population 7,000 (3000 of whom were prison inmates).
12. After failing music theory in Greenville (he hated scales), André hatched a plan to create what would become RAC by emailing many labels/bands/artists for remix opportunities ("I probably annoyed a lot of people," he admits.) The Shins' manager finally responded to one of André's many emails, giving him his first big break — the "Sleeping Lessons" remix.
13. To date André has remixed nearly 200 songs, including 22 #1’s on Hype Machine. His resume includes tracks by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Phoenix, Peter Bjorn and John, U2, Kings of Leon, Foster the People, Theophilus London, and Lana Del Rey.
14. His first original single, "Hollywood" featuring Penguin Prison, topped all four Hype Machine charts at once. Its video starred Quentin Tarantino muse Rose McGowan.
15. André came full circle, jumping in the studio not just with human beings, but with MNDR and Bloc Party's Kele for the lead-off track on his debut EP, Don't Talk To (Cherrytree Records).
MNDR is an electronic music duo, formed in 2009 in New York City, consisting of Amanda Warner and Peter Wade. Warner moved from Oakland, California to New York City in 2008 to work as a songwriter for hire. It was only after meeting Wade that she began to consider fronting a musical act herself. MNDR has opened for bands like YACHT, Massive Attack, and Deerhoof and frequently collaborates with visual artist Jamie Carreiro, who provides visual effects for MNDR's live shows.
Thu, October 23
Fri, October 24
Sat, October 25
Sun, October 26
Mon, October 27
Tue, October 28
Wed, October 29
Thu, October 30
Fri, October 31
Sat, November 1