BBOX Bada$$ Benefit Party
Basement Batman, Aabaraki, Vivienne Eastwood, Panel Discussion, + DJs, Raffles and Live Radio!
622 Degraw st.
Brooklyn, NY, 11217
Doors 6:30 PM / Show 7:00 PM
This event is 21 and over
BBOX Bada$$ Benefit Party
BBOX Radio — Brooklyn Community Radio — is throwing a BAD A$$ Benefit Party all night, Thursday, July 18th at Littlefield, in Gowanus, Brooklyn. The event is open to the public, with a $5 suggested donation at the door. All proceeds support BBOX Radio's 24/7 operations from their studio storefront in DUMBO, Brooklyn. Four Brooklyn bands and 12 BBOX DJs will help celebrate BBOX Radio’s 2nd birthday in style. Be there.
Come for all things Brooklyn Bands, BBOX DJs, live radio, DIY spray paint tshirts, special guests, & killer prizes from The All-Things-Brooklyn BBOX Raffle.
The entire event will be live-streamed to the world from
Live performances from
Live DJ sets from
● DJ Free Like 'Frei of the Ahficionados
● DJ Geng Grizzly of Fresh Out The Box
● DJ For Play of The Block
● DJ Mr. Klean of The Block
● DJ CNC of Sunday Morning Vibes
● DJ Brougham of Headless Heroes
● DJ Conquerrah of Shanty Town
● DJ Unexpected of Enjoy & Be Educated
● DJs Allison & Anthony of My Favorite Mixtape
● DJ Frank Ramos of Maximum Insight
● DJ La Gringa of Recarga
Raffle Prizes from Brooklyn businesses:
○ Working Vintage Toshiba RT-200 Boombox from BBOX Radio
○ Tickets to Big Boi of Outkast at Brooklyn Bowl
○ Tickets to Dick Dale at Brookyn Bowl
○ Tickets to a Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) special performance
○ Gift Certificate to The Brookyn Brewery
○ Gift Certificate to 3rd Ward
○ Custom Artwork from Grumpy Bert
○ 3 Sessions with a Personal Trainer from The L Trainer
○ Clothing from NY State of Mind
○ Tickets to shows at Littlefield
Opening Panel Talk: “The Future of Local Radio in Brooklyn and Beyond”
● Panelists To Be Announced on BBOXRADIO.COM in early July
● 7:00pm panel talk, to last 45-60 minutes, free entry before 8:00pm
● The panel will delve into not only the massive shifts the medium has seen over the past few decades, but also changes forced by new media platforms like Pandora, Spotify, and even YouTube, as well as how this impacts the Brooklyn community as a whole and what makes Brooklyn community radio so special.
Friends since 7 years old, we all live together in bushwick and work in our basement. Basement Batman is the first name we ever came up with and we like it. Dirt pop from the brain.
"Reduction. Stutter. Funk. Reducing the music to its bare essentials, deconstructing each facet, till it is but a dull and throbbing shell of its former self" is how four piece Aabaraki describe their delicious Alt-Soul sound that not only pays homage to the founders of funk, but also modernizes the genre. In a trend heavy musical climate, Aabaraki opts for sophisticated minimalism, operating as a single unit in producing, writing, singing, and creating all of it's music.
Though the boys come from different but accomplished musical backgrounds, their collective sound comes naturally. Guitarist Brian Forbes is a co-owner of Brooklyn's The Gallery Recording Studio, and has toured with hip-hop rock band The Nillaz, playing on Warped Tour 2005 and at Madison Square Garden. Akie Bermiss, a self- taught jazz keyboardist who has opened for George Clinton brings with him raw and sexy vocals that fall somewhere in between D'Angelo and Stevie Wonder. Aaron Steele, one of New York's most sought after session drummers has toured Europe opening for Jamiroquai and bassist Ari Folman-Cohen comes from a jazz heavy background and has shared the stage with Avante Jazz great Bobby Previte and opened for Patti Smith.
After playing together for two years the band is currently sitting on an extremely polished EP, completely written, produced, and cooked up from scratch by the four accomplished musicians. Songs range from human and heart-wrenching like their single "Happy Ending" to lascivious and carnal like their live show favorite, 'Karate'.
Currently playing gigs in New York City and Brooklyn, the band is anticipating their album release.
Panel discussion on The Future of Community Media
*** Panel Discussion "The Future of Local Radio in Brooklyn and Beyond" from 7-8PM ***
Mon, December 1
Tue, December 2
Wed, December 3
Thu, December 4
Fri, December 5
Sat, December 6
Sat, December 6
Sun, December 7
Mon, December 8
Wed, December 10